Skip to main content

Cash, Friend or Foe?

I have been listening to Dave Ramsey for quite some time, after some gentle urging from my husband to get on board with him and his financial outlook.  

Now that we are on the same page, and working through our debt snowball (which will be finished by the end of 2013 with our current habits) I have decided that "hey, this guy really does know what he is talking about and I should put more faith into ALL of his ideas."

This all boiled to down to CASH.  I despise CASH.  I am nervous to carry it around with me, I feel like I should use it all right away, and I forget to actually use my change so after a while my purse weighs a few extra pounds ;)  I have gone to a cash only budget and quickly given up after running out of money within the first week.  Since I am more of a "I want it NOW" kind of girl my debit card has always come in handy during these moments.

Now that it is a new year I had this great idea that I should follow the principles laid before me and actually listen to Dave Ramsey (and my husband) when they tell me that if I use cash, and only cash, when I am out shopping, that I will spend less.  

It's been 9 days.  9 long days.  After-Christmas Sales, Spring Apparel Arriving Sales, Christmas Gift Cards (that don't cover the whole bill), the list goes on and on.  However, I have come to resist a few of the sales, I have stayed away from most stores, and I have only used gift cards that were going to expire or was buying something I actually wanted.  I have especially been staying away from the grocery store (how does food cost SO MUCH!?)...  

Look at my pantry below and you will realize why I really should stay out of the grocery stores... there are only 1.5 of us (my husband travels overnight most days throughout the week so he is only 1/2 home)



Payday is now only 5 days away before I get my next allotment of cash to spend, and I have plenty to get me through!

I am so excited by my progress and I plan to stand firm, stay out of the stores and put my extra cash each period into a special fund so that I can splurge on some of our monthly dates that we plan to have throughout 2013!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This blog was originally started to document different things that we were doing in order to move towards early retirement.  That was years ago before we decided to have our Sweet B.  We planned to work, travel a little, and budget so we could retire and spend the rest of our lives doing whatever we wanted....  Life had other plans, and we now have the best gift of our lives - along with all of the expenses that come with having a child, as well as the want to not work as much so we could spend more time with her. Even with these new diversions, the goal remains - Retire Early, and Enjoy Life.  We have seen so many friends and family that are working into their later years, or who have too little money to actually enjoy their retirement, and even worse - those that never made it to their later years with the chance to retire and relax. Every year we give ourselves a large goal - one that is just enough of out reach to make us stretch for it, but realistic eno...

Bicycles

Over the past couple of weeks I have been very interested in Bicycles. Not the ones you ride, even though I have been going on more bike rides then usual as well, but the  decorative bicycles.  I have picked out some that I like for decoration on my porch, I have found note cards that have cute bicycles on them, and then yesterday for my birthday I received a card with an adorable bicycle filled with flowers, followed by an online picture that I was tagged in that read "Life is a Beautiful Ride" I kept thinking about how interesting it was that this kept coming up in my life, and so this morning I googled what a bicycle symbolizes.   According to  We Know Your Dreams  " Seeing a bicycle is a hint that you will reach somewhere."  It is a symbols of moving, going forward, and heading towards your future.  To me this means that I should start planning for my future, and deciding what I want my next step to be.  I have been thinking abo...

Happy Mother's Day

This will be another fun holiday to celebrate, in quarantine. Luckily, things are starting to loosen up around our area so we are able to spend quality time with some of the family that we normally celebrate with, I was gifted a beautiful cart that we have had for close to 10 years sitting in our backyard.  My husband refurnished and repurposed it into a garden area for me so that I can enjoy my plants, without rabbits eating them, and without having to bend over to weed them and take care of them.  I also get the bonus of it having wheels, so when it decides that it is going to snow in the middle of May, I can just wheel it into the garage! This afternoon B decided to decorate the side of it with chalk, telling me how much she loves me, and that I am the best Mommy.  I planted tomatoes, mint, rosemary, kale and cucumbers.  Let's see how much of a green thumb I actually have! I was also given some lavender plants, as I have fell in love with lavender ove...