Skip to main content

A Week of Golf

In 2017 my team was tasked with exciting job of catering to the LPGA Marathon Classic for their week long golf tournament here in town.  We had less then 4 months to prepare, and we had never done anything on such a large scale before.  It was both exhilarating and terrifying, especially for an Enneagram 6 like me.  We are loyal and committed, but our biggest needs are security, and we fear not having the support and guidance needed.  What a way to walk into a task like this.  

I was suddenly tasked with finding organizations to fill close to 200 shifts for concession stands, as well as around 75 employees to help me make this event a reality.  It took a lot of time, planning, questions, stress, and a roller coaster of emotions, but we did it!  It was amazing the feeling that you have after you accomplish something like that.




Since then we have continued to receive this job each July, and each year has gotten a little easier.  We have had the time to plan, the staff knows what to expect, and everyone wants to participate, and best of all - we don't make the same mistakes that we did at the beginning because we keep learning and growing.

Then 2020 came along.  It has completely changed everything in this world that we live in, and it is re-learning a whole new process for how we are going to make this event happen.  The tournament was postponed 3 times, and then determined that it will go on, without any spectators.  We have gone from 200 volunteer shifts to None.  We have changed from 90 bartender shifts to 1.  I have gone from working an estimated 125 hour weeks, down to under 70 hours, at most.   We used to service up to 5,000 people a day.... this year we will be at a high of 500.   

This doesn't mean I am not going to give it my all.  This doesn't mean that we are just going to sit back on our heels and let things slide.  We are going go out there and do the best we can.  We are going to smile, and wake up early, and do our best to cater to the players and officials.  We are going to make memories, and think of amazing ways that we can continue to grow and take this time to see what we can do better in the future.

Just because things aren't the same as they have always been, doesn't mean that all is lost.  Take the opportunity to see things in a new light.  Walk in a different set of shoes.  Learn from the past, but find a way to carve out your future.

So today, I going to get ready, and head to the course and Make it Happen!
What are you re-learning?  Are you choosing to focus on the positive, instead of dwell in the negative?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Weeks Later....

I just realized that I fell off the face of the blog world 8 weeks ago!   I was finally starting to get back on track with organizing, cleaning, and work when I just forgot how to manage my time! Over the last weeks I have made so many memories, enjoyed so much time with family and friends, and traveled to Denver, Cub Lake, Cedar Point, and back home again!  I have celebrated my 4th Wedding Anniversary to the man of my dreams as well as my grandma's 80th Birthday!  I have welcomed a great nephew (Jerry) , an amazing 2nd cousin (Brock), and a beautiful little friend (Sirena) into the world!  And last, but not least, I have decided that I am perfectly at peace with my life, no matter what comes my way. Now that July is finally behind us and August is starting anew, so are my new hopes, dreams, and goals!  I will share them as they become closer to reality, and I have a plan of action on how to handle everything. For this month I am hoping to stop in at least once a day to upda

Where is this Going...

As you can see from previous posts... this blog is about nothing, and everything, all wrapped up into one website.   This started as a place to discuss the actions that my husband and I were taking to r educe our spending,  pay off debt, and try to retire at an early age.  At this time we had 3 cats, and a mountain of debt; home, cars, timeshare, student loans, and lots and lots of credit cards. Since then we have become parents to an amazing little girl, that deserves the world, and knows it.  She wants it all...and she wants it NOW!  (and yes, we listen to lots of Queen songs, I mean, who doesn't!??) We have been lucky enough to have steady jobs, and lots of opportunities over the years to work sides jobs for some additional income.  We followed Dave Ramsey for inspiration by listening to his radio show, reading the books, and listening to podcasts.  With all of this information we were able to pay off all of our debt, including our home, and live the life that we have dre

Happy Mother's Day

This will be another fun holiday to celebrate, in quarantine. Luckily, things are starting to loosen up around our area so we are able to spend quality time with some of the family that we normally celebrate with, I was gifted a beautiful cart that we have had for close to 10 years sitting in our backyard.  My husband refurnished and repurposed it into a garden area for me so that I can enjoy my plants, without rabbits eating them, and without having to bend over to weed them and take care of them.  I also get the bonus of it having wheels, so when it decides that it is going to snow in the middle of May, I can just wheel it into the garage! This afternoon B decided to decorate the side of it with chalk, telling me how much she loves me, and that I am the best Mommy.  I planted tomatoes, mint, rosemary, kale and cucumbers.  Let's see how much of a green thumb I actually have! I was also given some lavender plants, as I have fell in love with lavender over the last coup