Skip to main content

Book Notes 1 - "The Good Life for Less"

I just started reading The Good Life for Less  by Amy Allen Clark.

I am still in the first chapter and have already found some amazing, simplistic ideas.  The kind that make you think "Why didn't I think of that!?"

As I continue through this book I plan to make some posts about some ideas that I find different, challenging, and hopefully helpful - for me AND for you!

The first that I came across was the idea of using the latte factor to your advantage.  It just so happens that this goes along wonderfully with the fact that I have given up Starbucks for Lent.... (only 39 days to go!).

Many of us have heard of the latte factor from different sources over the last few years.  It tries to show us how much our habits can end us costing us in the long run.  It is named after the fact that many people don't think about how much their latte is costing them down the road, they just hand over the $3.80 each morning.  A year down the road they have spent close to $600.00, only going 3 times a week..... think of how many times people go daily, or even a few times a day!  This same idea can be used with cigarettes, mani & pedis, drinking, eating out.... pretty much anything that you spend money on!



Now, back to the new take on the latte factor.  The author talks about how a guy she knew used the latte factor to pay off his car over a year early!
Not only did he cut out his own coffee breaks to save money, but every time his co-worker went out for coffee he would put the cost of a standard drink towards his car payment.  Over the course of a year and half the car was paid off, and he was using the money towards his next financial goal!  This is an amazing idea not only because of the money saving and debt reduction, but also because it is easier to pay attention to someone else's financial mishaps then it is to find your own.  This allows you to use the errors of someone else to realize your own bad habits, and help yourself out of debt in the mean time!

What ways can you update the latte factor to work best for you and your financial goals?  Do you have someone around you that you can use as a money saving muse?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This blog was originally started to document different things that we were doing in order to move towards early retirement.  That was years ago before we decided to have our Sweet B.  We planned to work, travel a little, and budget so we could retire and spend the rest of our lives doing whatever we wanted....  Life had other plans, and we now have the best gift of our lives - along with all of the expenses that come with having a child, as well as the want to not work as much so we could spend more time with her. Even with these new diversions, the goal remains - Retire Early, and Enjoy Life.  We have seen so many friends and family that are working into their later years, or who have too little money to actually enjoy their retirement, and even worse - those that never made it to their later years with the chance to retire and relax. Every year we give ourselves a large goal - one that is just enough of out reach to make us stretch for it, but realistic eno...

Happy Mother's Day

This will be another fun holiday to celebrate, in quarantine. Luckily, things are starting to loosen up around our area so we are able to spend quality time with some of the family that we normally celebrate with, I was gifted a beautiful cart that we have had for close to 10 years sitting in our backyard.  My husband refurnished and repurposed it into a garden area for me so that I can enjoy my plants, without rabbits eating them, and without having to bend over to weed them and take care of them.  I also get the bonus of it having wheels, so when it decides that it is going to snow in the middle of May, I can just wheel it into the garage! This afternoon B decided to decorate the side of it with chalk, telling me how much she loves me, and that I am the best Mommy.  I planted tomatoes, mint, rosemary, kale and cucumbers.  Let's see how much of a green thumb I actually have! I was also given some lavender plants, as I have fell in love with lavender ove...

Bicycles

Over the past couple of weeks I have been very interested in Bicycles. Not the ones you ride, even though I have been going on more bike rides then usual as well, but the  decorative bicycles.  I have picked out some that I like for decoration on my porch, I have found note cards that have cute bicycles on them, and then yesterday for my birthday I received a card with an adorable bicycle filled with flowers, followed by an online picture that I was tagged in that read "Life is a Beautiful Ride" I kept thinking about how interesting it was that this kept coming up in my life, and so this morning I googled what a bicycle symbolizes.   According to  We Know Your Dreams  " Seeing a bicycle is a hint that you will reach somewhere."  It is a symbols of moving, going forward, and heading towards your future.  To me this means that I should start planning for my future, and deciding what I want my next step to be.  I have been thinking abo...