Skip to main content

My Word of 2021

 



2021 will be the sixth year that I have decided to choose a word for my year.  I have read about this for years, and have found that the practice has been more helpful for me over the years then making resolutions that I forget about by Mid-January, or goals that get sidetracked with the first misshapen.

However choosing a word.... it allows you to just go back to it day after day for motivation and hope.  More often then not the word I focus on will mean something completely different by the end of the year, but it will still  exactly what I needed.

In 2020 my word was Organize.  I planned to organize my goals, my house, my pictures, my computer, anything that needed to be decluttered and organized, I was going to get it done.  Instead, everything shifted with the onset of the Pandemic.  I had plenty of time, but the motivation and energy were being pulled in all different directions.  I quickly realized that I needed to organize my priorities.  I needed to put my self and my family first.  I needed to make sure that our needs and happiness were being taken care of.

We made the decision as a family that I would spend more time at home with B.  We decided to be more intentional on our weekends with playing games, and swinging in the backyard.  Then, we decided on a lake house to build memories together.  We soon spent every possible minute up there going on bike rides, tubing, riding bikes, and grilling on the back deck.  By the end of 2020 I found so much clarity in what the priorities in my life were.



In 2021, my word is Renew.  I am planning to renew my spark.  Continue to focus on what matters to me, and move forward in my own goals and dreams.  Sean and I have put together our financial and family goals for the future.  I have made a list of my personal and health goals.  B even has her own goals that she is working towards, including spending time with friends and perfecting her tumbling moves.

While I know that 2021 can throw anything it wants at us, and we have no choice but to endure, but I also know that I can renew my self, thoughts, and goals at any time, as long as I put in the effort.

What is your word of the year?  I would love to hear your word, and if you have any reason behind it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready for Autumn?!

When school starts, that means it's time for the routines to set in, new schedules and activities to begin, and best of all....the weather to cool off and Fall Fun can Begin! I love jeans, sweatshirts, boots, bonfires, apple cider, pumpkin patches, even football.  Give me anything and everything fall!  However, this heat wave does not pair well with warm doughnuts and apple cider - it just makes for bees and overheating.  The pumpkin patches aren't as fun because you don't have on jeans and boots and crisp weather to make it more fun.  The barns stink from the heat when you are trying to feed the cows and enjoy the animals around the farm. This weekend we are going to make our Fall Bucket List and wish for a little chill in a the air so we can enjoy this beautiful season of life we are given.   We will continue to make new goals, improve on our good habits, and find new ways to love each other to the fullest.
This blog was originally started to document different things that we were doing in order to move towards early retirement.  That was years ago before we decided to have our Sweet B.  We planned to work, travel a little, and budget so we could retire and spend the rest of our lives doing whatever we wanted....  Life had other plans, and we now have the best gift of our lives - along with all of the expenses that come with having a child, as well as the want to not work as much so we could spend more time with her. Even with these new diversions, the goal remains - Retire Early, and Enjoy Life.  We have seen so many friends and family that are working into their later years, or who have too little money to actually enjoy their retirement, and even worse - those that never made it to their later years with the chance to retire and relax. Every year we give ourselves a large goal - one that is just enough of out reach to make us stretch for it, but realistic eno...

Bicycles

Over the past couple of weeks I have been very interested in Bicycles. Not the ones you ride, even though I have been going on more bike rides then usual as well, but the  decorative bicycles.  I have picked out some that I like for decoration on my porch, I have found note cards that have cute bicycles on them, and then yesterday for my birthday I received a card with an adorable bicycle filled with flowers, followed by an online picture that I was tagged in that read "Life is a Beautiful Ride" I kept thinking about how interesting it was that this kept coming up in my life, and so this morning I googled what a bicycle symbolizes.   According to  We Know Your Dreams  " Seeing a bicycle is a hint that you will reach somewhere."  It is a symbols of moving, going forward, and heading towards your future.  To me this means that I should start planning for my future, and deciding what I want my next step to be.  I have been thinking abo...