Skip to main content

Gratitude

Gratitude.  Something that you hear about so much, and yet so few people actually practice.

Gratitude is "the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness"

Do you recognize this in your daily life?  Do you take the time to be thankful for everything that you are given?  Do you even realize all that you have to be thankful for?  Just because something bad happens, does not mean that the whole day...week...month...year....will be bad.  Just that moment was bad.  It wasn't what you wanted or hoped for, but there are plenty more things that you can be on the lookout for to turn your attitude.

If you look for things to be thankful for, you will find them surrounding you.  If you woke up today and started looking for blessings - a hot cup of tea, time to read, a smile and wave from a neighbor, being lucky enough to have your health, etc.  then you will continue to keep searching for blessings.  They aren't always going to reach out and grab your attention, but they are there if you look.
On the other hand, if you just know it's going to be a bad day, then you are right.  No matter what good comes your way, you will not recognize it.  You will only be on the hunt for the bad and noticing things that don't go your way.  It's not as warm as yesterday, the wind is blowing, your child is yelling, or your grass needs cut.  Someone else would give anything to have a child that is yelling, because they have been waiting for their own child for years.  They would love to have grass to cut, instead of living with their in-laws or in an apartment where they hear their neighbors.  

Please, just take this time and find SOMETHING to be grateful for.  Start small, and find it everywhere.  Then make sure you document it.  Wouldn't it be fun to look back a year from now and read about that funny joke your son told, or the giggles your daughter had for no reason, how watching the sunset with all of the beautiful colors or the way the clouds moved so fast in the sky but that there was no wind around you.


Today, I am grateful that we have a large enough porch that some of our family was able to visit and we were able to eat at an acceptable social distance.  I am grateful that my niece sent me pictures from our Florida trip 4 months ago, and asked when we could go again.  I am grateful that my husband played basketball and golf yesterday - two of his favorite activities, that he can't always enjoy because of his neck and back issues.  I am grateful that my mom can sew and has been able to supply masks for my family, her drivers, and multiple friends that have been in need.  I am grateful that the sun is shining, and I can take my book out on the back porch to just read and listen to the birds.

Let me know what you are grateful for.  I would love to hear your blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This blog was originally started to document different things that we were doing in order to move towards early retirement.  That was years ago before we decided to have our Sweet B.  We planned to work, travel a little, and budget so we could retire and spend the rest of our lives doing whatever we wanted....  Life had other plans, and we now have the best gift of our lives - along with all of the expenses that come with having a child, as well as the want to not work as much so we could spend more time with her. Even with these new diversions, the goal remains - Retire Early, and Enjoy Life.  We have seen so many friends and family that are working into their later years, or who have too little money to actually enjoy their retirement, and even worse - those that never made it to their later years with the chance to retire and relax. Every year we give ourselves a large goal - one that is just enough of out reach to make us stretch for it, but realistic eno...

Happy Mother's Day

This will be another fun holiday to celebrate, in quarantine. Luckily, things are starting to loosen up around our area so we are able to spend quality time with some of the family that we normally celebrate with, I was gifted a beautiful cart that we have had for close to 10 years sitting in our backyard.  My husband refurnished and repurposed it into a garden area for me so that I can enjoy my plants, without rabbits eating them, and without having to bend over to weed them and take care of them.  I also get the bonus of it having wheels, so when it decides that it is going to snow in the middle of May, I can just wheel it into the garage! This afternoon B decided to decorate the side of it with chalk, telling me how much she loves me, and that I am the best Mommy.  I planted tomatoes, mint, rosemary, kale and cucumbers.  Let's see how much of a green thumb I actually have! I was also given some lavender plants, as I have fell in love with lavender ove...

A Week of Golf

In 2017 my team was tasked with exciting job of catering to the LPGA Marathon Classic for their week long golf tournament here in town.  We had less then 4 months to prepare, and we had never done anything on such a large scale before.  It was both exhilarating and terrifying, especially for an Enneagram 6 like me.  We are loyal and committed, but our biggest needs are security, and we fear not having the support and guidance needed.  What a way to walk into a task like this.   I was suddenly tasked with finding organizations to fill close to 200 shifts for concession stands, as well as around 75 employees to help me make this event a reality.  It took a lot of time, planning, questions, stress, and a roller coaster of emotions, but we did it!  It was amazing the feeling that you have after you accomplish something like that. Since then we have continued to receive this job each July, and each year has gotten a little easier.  We have ha...